Philanthropy: Enriching the Lives Around You
We help individuals, corporations, non-profit, and private foundations plan, manage their assets, and distribute charitable gifts. As a division of Tri-Star Trust, our Philanthropic Solutions Group provides sound advice, strategies and education to fulfill your philanthropic vision. Together we develop practical solutions for your charitable giving, while keeping you in compliance with legal and regulatory requirements.
Our dedicated team seeks to understand your passion and purpose. What missions are you moving forward? What legacy do your donors want to leave? Which local efforts speak to your support’s heart? We work with your staff and board of directors to invest the assets entrusted to you and walk alongside you to manage your foundations, endowment, or other charitable funds. We provide clarity, guidance, and mentorship. We make each aspect of your fundraising and charitable giving more organized and cost-effective.
Whether you or your organization is just starting out or have been serving your community for decades, we are passionate about helping you find the best ways to define and achieve your philanthropic mission.
One of our most rewarding jobs is helping individuals, families, foundations, and endowments be effective stewards of the assets entrusted to them. We are here to help with options such as:
- Will and trust bequests
- Beneficiary designations on life insurance
- Beneficiary designations and qualified charitable distributions on retirement plans
- Gift annuities
- Charitable remainder trusts
- Charitable lead trusts
- Life estate gifts
- Private foundations
- Public non-profits
Because there are many legal and regulatory requirements to face, our Philanthropic Solutions Group develops procedures to help you maintain compliance. These steps are not only for our charitable trust clients but also for those who use private or community foundations, endowments or donor-advised funds to fulfill their charitable purposes.
What can you expect from our charitable services team?
- Investment management — Informed asset allocation to help you invest in a way that meets your goals and avoids unnecessary costs and risks
- Governance assistance — Help with the many complex elements of philanthropic giving, including governance issues such as bylaws, fund documents, policies and procedures
- Planned giving — Current and deferred gifts are managed properly and meeting goals
- Private foundation board development — Ongoing board development, including helping board members understand their fiduciary role
- Charitable strategies — Advice/mentoring to assist you/your professional tax advisor in developing charitable gift strategies that complement your tax planning and charitable gift objectives
- Donor identification/solicitation — Training on identifying and building relationships with target donors
- Granting — Guidance on your distribution of charitable funds, including screening of potential recipients
- Marketing/education about fundraising — Seminars for prospects/donors, explaining the ways to give, and the impact of gifts
Services for Non-Profits
Plenty of challenges come with managing any charitable giving — whether it’s for your non-profit organization or for your individual legacy. Tri-Star is committed to helping you overcome those obstacles, allowing you to fulfill your philanthropic vision and leave your mark.
Let us help you:
- Manage your assets effectively
- Build stronger relationships with donors and members of the charitable community who can help you reach your goals
- Increase community impact
- Be more efficient and cost-effective in your philanthropic approach
- Stay in compliance with legal and regulatory requirements
- Navigate complex tax issues
- Keep your confidentiality and proprietary information protected
What You’re Saying
Our Tri-Star team understands our unique needs as a
They stay on top of issues affecting organizations like ours and their real-world experiences are invaluable to our Board. Not only do these trusted advisors work to ensure solid investment growth through expert asset management, they have an in-depth understanding of the entire charitable giving process. They work closely with us as we navigate the legal and tax issues related to philanthropic gifting so we can concentrate on using those funds to support the mission and vision of our organization – improving
– Frankenmuth Community Foundation
My sisters and I have relied on the guidance and wisdom of Tri-Star regarding governance, administration and investments.
Our Relationship Manager leads, guides and directs us even when we are scattered all over the country.
With the help of Tri-Star, The Nickless Family Charitable Foundation continues the legacy of its founders and plans to fulfill its charitable intentions for the generations to come.
~ Janet Nickless-Royce, Chairperson of the Nickless Family
Tri-Star Trust manages the Junior League of Lansing Endowment Fund on behalf of our members and investors.
As our fund continues to grow and support the League’s community programs, we are grateful for the expertise and insight provided by Tri-Star Trust’s Philanthropic Solutions Group. We appreciate their professionalism and understanding of our organization’s goals to maintain a prescribed plan of action for the long-term success and growth
of our fund.”
-Kate Hude, Endowment Board Chair
Junior League of Lansing